What to Do if You’re Sexually Assaulted

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you’re not alone.

In fact, more than one in five women have experienced unwanted sexual touching, unwanted kissing, unwanted touching without consent, unwanted sexual advances, unwanted sex, or unwanted sex.

If you’ve been sexually victimized, you may want to know what to do. 1.

Report it to law enforcement If you believe someone has been the victim of sexual assault, you should report it to local police immediately.

If someone has made a false accusation or is a threat to harm someone, you can call the police and request an arrest.

If police respond to your call and find out that you’ve reported a crime, you’ll need to take your case to court.

You can ask the court to order someone to testify against you.

If the person is the perpetrator, they’ll be sentenced to jail time, while the victim will have a lesser charge.


Get help If you don’t report the crime, the perpetrator may have access to your information, including your name, phone number, and address.

He or she may also know who you’ve dated, or if you’ve ever been involved in a romantic relationship.

If your perpetrator has access to other people’s information, such as your social security number or credit card number, they can access it.

This information can be used against you in court, and may include details of your job, finances, health insurance, and more.


Get medical treatment The perpetrator may need medical treatment for sexual assault.

You might have symptoms or have a history of sexual abuse or assault, and you might be unable to access legal services because of a disability.

If there’s a history, you might also be afraid to report it, which may make it difficult to obtain justice.


Contact the police When you have an assault, or someone suspects you have, you need to call the local police.

If it’s not your case, you have the right to a free, confidential consultation with a professional sexual assault counselor, or you may file a police report.

Your local police department should be able to help you with your sexual assault case.

If they can’t, you or your attorney should contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).


Take the next step When you’ve had your sexual abuse case resolved, you don.

You don’t have to wait until the end of the year to get a job, get a raise, or start a new life.

If an employer or an employer’s policy doesn’t allow you to work while you’re being sexually assaulted or abused, you could file a complaint with your state or federal government.